Blakey Howe, Lion Inn, Coast to Coast
Blakey Howe is also know as Cockpit Hill, and used to be the site of cock fighting in the 18th century. The hill itself is a dug-out round barrow, which has been topped with a boundary stone.
The Coast to Coast footpath passes within yards of the monument, and is but a tiny climb to the hill top to view it. Doing so brings into view a magnificent panorama over the Rosedale Valley.
Coast to Coast
Blakey Howe overlooking the Lion Inn
Blakey Howe Monument on Cockpit Hill
Coast to Coast eBook
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path is designed both as a trail guide, and as an informative and adventurous travelogue. Written by Roy David McKee, this is a must-read for anyone contemplating the walk.
The book is available from the iBooks store and has been digitally enhanced.
Features of the Book:
- Route described in detail
- Large scale detailed digital Maps of the route
- Hundreds of colour photographs that can be expanded to full page
- Photo-galleries of particular areas of interest.
- Research notes of Historic and Interesting places on the path.