Whorl Hill, Swainby, Coast to Coast
Legend has it that Whorl Hill is the home of a wyrm dragon that had toxic breath and breathed fire, and that it regularly flew across the local farmland, destroying crops and livestock by burning and poisoning them. It could, apparently be placated by feeding it the fresh milk of nine cows each day. The dragon was eventually slain by a knight who happened upon the village (Whorlton). He would accept no reward and did not disclose his name. To this day he is known as the unknown Knight.
Whorl Hill from Live Moor
Whorl Hill from Whorlton Lane
Coast to Coast eBook
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path is designed both as a trail guide, and as an informative and adventurous travelogue. Written by Roy David McKee, this is a must-read for anyone contemplating the walk.
The book is available from the iBooks store and has been digitally enhanced.
Features of the Book:
- Route described in detail
- Large scale detailed digital Maps of the route
- Hundreds of colour photographs that can be expanded to full page
- Photo-galleries of particular areas of interest.
- Research notes of Historic and Interesting places on the path.