Wiske Valley, Ingleby Arncliffe, Coast to Coast
Many of the towns and places it passes through bear the name Wiske, e.g. (in order from its source):
Wiske Bank Plantation
Wiske Railway Bridge
Low Wiske Moor
Wiske means water meadow, and as this river runs through a large swathe of the Vale of Mowbray, through mostly flat meadows, this would explain why so many places are named after it. During wet weather the river often overflows onto the surrounding fields, leaving behind a lot of nutrient rich silt.
Approaching the Wiske Valley from Sydal Lodge
Wiske Valley at Sydal Lodge near Ingleby Arncliffe
Coast to Coast eBook
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path is designed both as a trail guide, and as an informative and adventurous travelogue. Written by Roy David McKee, this is a must-read for anyone contemplating the walk.
The book is available from the iBooks store and has been digitally enhanced.
Features of the Book:
- Route described in detail
- Large scale detailed digital Maps of the route
- Hundreds of colour photographs that can be expanded to full page
- Photo-galleries of particular areas of interest.
- Research notes of Historic and Interesting places on the path.