Catterick Garrison, Richmond, Coast to Coast
The location of Catterick garrison was first recommended by Robert Baden-Powell who founded the Scouting movement in 1908 whilst he, as Inspector-General of Cavalry, was based at the army barrack which at that time was located in Richmond Castle. On 12 August 1914, the order was issued for the construction of the camp, following the outbreak of the Great War. The original intention for Catterick was to be a temporary camp to accommodate two complete divisions with around 40,000 men in 2,000 huts. The base was originally named Richmond Camp until being changed to Catterick Camp in 1915, later modified to Catterick Garrison. After serving as a prisoner of war camp at the end of the Great War, the idea to make Catterick a permanent military barracks was first suggested after the partitioning of Ireland in 1921, the required land was purchased and building plans were put forward in 1923. Construction was undertaken by John Laing & Son and by the mid-1930s most of the camp's facilities were complete. During the Second World War the camp was once again used to house prisoners of war.
Coast to Coast
4th Infantry Brigade HQ
Tank at Catterick Garrison
Coast to Coast eBook
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path is designed both as a trail guide, and as an informative and adventurous travelogue. Written by Roy David McKee, this is a must-read for anyone contemplating the walk.
The book is available from the iBooks store and has been digitally enhanced.
Features of the Book:
- Route described in detail
- Large scale detailed digital Maps of the route
- Hundreds of colour photographs that can be expanded to full page
- Photo-galleries of particular areas of interest.
- Research notes of Historic and Interesting places on the path.