Marrick Abbey, Swaledale, Coast to Coast
There is quite a history to the Abbey, dating back to its erection as a Benedictine Nunnery around 1154 by one Roger de Aske, during the reign of King Henry II. In 1540 the prioress and her 16 nuns were evicted as part of the Dissolution of Monasteries. Thereafter the abbey was leased by the Crown to Sir John Uvedale who later purchased it. He sold it in 1592 to Sir Timothy Marske who in turn sold it to the Blackburn family, of Blackburn Hall in 1545. It was used as a place of worship until 1948 and was thereafter used as a farm building.
Coast to Coast
Dissolution of Monasteries
Roger de Aske
Coast to Coast eBook
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path
The Wild Beauty of the Coast to Coast Path is designed both as a trail guide, and as an informative and adventurous travelogue. Written by Roy David McKee, this is a must-read for anyone contemplating the walk.
The book is available from the iBooks store and has been digitally enhanced.
Features of the Book:
- Route described in detail
- Large scale detailed digital Maps of the route
- Hundreds of colour photographs that can be expanded to full page
- Photo-galleries of particular areas of interest.
- Research notes of Historic and Interesting places on the path.